Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 500 bad server and error establishing a database connection

500 bad server and error establishing a database connection

Posted: April 5, 2016 at 3:54 am

Keenslee

April 5, 2016 at 3:54 am

Hi,

My website is doing fine, until some customer called and ask me why the website is not working.

I checked and saw a problem(500 bad server and error establishing a database connection), I tried to check the error log(below is the server error log). At first I thought it was the server, but i decided to google it first and I did some trouble shooting.

I renamed the plugin folder(event espreso core) to a different name and my website loads with no problem. I changed it back to its original name and I get the error again.

Im using bluehost as hosting. I need your help urgently.

[05-Apr-2016 09:15:12 UTC] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at/wp-content/themes/thekeynote/plugins/gdlr-paypal.php:323) in /wp-content/plugins/event-espresso-core-reg/core/EE_Front_Controller.core.php on line 112
[05-Apr-2016 09:15:12 UTC] PHP Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie – headers already sent by (output started at /wp-content/themes/thekeynote/plugins/gdlr-paypal.php:323) in /wp-content/plugins/event-espresso-core-reg/core/EE_Session.core.php on line 398
[05-Apr-2016 09:15:12 UTC] PHP Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter – headers already sent (output started at /wp-content/themes/thekeynote/plugins/gdlr-paypal.php:323) in /wp-content/plugins/event-espresso-core-reg/core/EE_Session.core.php on line 398

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by  Tony. Reason: Removed server path

Tony

• Support Staff

April 5, 2016 at 4:05 am

Hi Keenslee,

Those Warnings are not causing error 500 on your site and they are not caused by Event Espresso.

PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /wp-content/themes/thekeynote/plugins/gdlr-paypal.php:323) in /event-espresso-core-reg/core/EE_Front_Controller.core.php on line 112

Means Event Espresso is attempting to start a session, however ‘something’ has already been sent to the browser before it should have been. It is some form of output from the gdlr-paypal plugin (GoodLayers PayPal plugin?)

Without seeing the code I don’t know what that will be but at a guess, possibly a rouge bit of whitespace at the end of the file.

Within the error log do you find any fatal errors relating to Event Espresso?

Have you contacted BlueHost regarding this?

Generally an error 500 will point to a fatal error being thrown, this usually shows in the error logs. ‘error establishing a database connection’ can mean your site has hit its connection limit (set by the host) and now can not connect to the database. Event Espresso uses more connections as it pulls in more data, so you may hit that limit with EE enabled, but not when its disabled.

Keenslee

April 5, 2016 at 4:20 am

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your fast response.

I really don’t have an idea why it happened.

You are right, It’s not an event espreso problem. I think it’s the hosting’s problem. Earlier my website is not loading at all and now it’s loading fine.

At least, I know now that the problem is not yours.

Thanks again for your fast response. πŸ™‚

Tony

• Support Staff

April 5, 2016 at 4:32 am

You’re most welcome πŸ™‚

Please let us know if you have further problems.

The support post ‘500 bad server and error establishing a database connection’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso