Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 500 error after various registration actions

500 error after various registration actions

Posted: October 13, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Viewing 6 reply threads

juliediamond

October 13, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Hello,
My entire site (every page) gives a 500 error when certain registration steps happen.

The first time it happened, I had selected a ticket quantity and clicked “Register Now”, then I hit “back” on my browser to change the ticket quantity. When I hit “back”, I got a 500 error. Every page of the site gave the error until I cleared my cache. I tried to replicate that error and failed. I don’t get the error when I take those steps any more.

Thinking the problem was solved, I continued testing. This time, I selected 2 tickets and clicked “Register Now.” I filled in the form and clicked “Proceed to Payment.” I then saw a pop-up message stating that my email address was already associated with an account and I was shown a log-in button. When I clicked it, I got a 500 error. I continued to get the error on every page of the site until I cleared my cache.

When I tried to replicate the issue above, I did not get the error. It is almost like the first time I try doing various things, I get the error, then I clear my cache and I don’t get the error until I try something else.

I am a developer, so I realize this may not be a solvable problem. If you can’t replicate it, you won’t be able to solve it. I’d like to have you try as we can’t ask our customers to clear their cache and try again every time they make a mistake.

Thanks!

Josh

• Support Staff

October 14, 2016 at 8:19 am

Hi Julie,

We’ll definitely look in to this and give it a high priority. What may have contributed to the 500 error was some bad data in the transient that’s tied to the current session. EE does not store the session data in the cookie, but instead has a key there to correspond to a transient stored in the wp options table. So what could have happened was instead of loading up data about the current registration from that transient as it normally does, an internal server error was thrown. So when the session cookie that’s tied to that data was removed from your browser, no more internal server errors.

Can you check the server’s error logs from the time this happened to see if any errors were logged then?

juliediamond

October 14, 2016 at 11:11 am

Thanks, Josh. It happens to 3 of us — all using different computers and in different locations. We’re all in the Portland, Oregon metro area, but our offices are in different parts of the city.

Unfortunately, no errors were logged.

You can try the form yourself by going here:
http://juliediamond.net/events/power-intelligence-certification-training/

Invoice payment is an option (it also isn’t working — I’ve made another post about that). So you can test registration without actually paying. You may or may not experience what we’ve experienced.

juliediamond

October 17, 2016 at 10:47 am

It looks like a few people (or the same person using different emails) from EE have tested our form. Do you know if anyone was able to replicate this error? We have a newsletter going out early this week and need to have a working form — one way or another — by the time it goes out. Thanks!

Josh

• Support Staff

October 17, 2016 at 10:58 am

Hi,

There’s a developer that’s assigned to investigate the internal server errors. You’ll see some test registrations on your site. If you have a dev/staging site we can probably troubleshoot there if you prefer. You can send access to the staging site via the form on this page:

https://eventespresso.com/send-login-details/

juliediamond

October 17, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Log-in info has been sent. Thanks, Josh!

Josh

• Support Staff

October 19, 2016 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much for sending. The lead developer of Event Espresso has been looking into this and narrow down what’s going on. This morning he mentioned that it was an unserialization error happening when the session data was pulled, and is working on a fix.

Viewing 6 reply threads

The support post ‘500 error after various registration actions’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso