The PayPal Express payment gateway will allow your attendees/registrants to pay for their event registration with PayPal funds. Guest checkout may also be available for your account and will let your registrants/attendees pay with a major credit card without needing an existing PayPal.com account.
View quick links for this payment gateway –>
No installation is required. The PayPal Express payment gateway is included with the Event Espresso 4 core plugin.
Locate your Credentials for PayPal Express
Your credentials for PayPal Express can be found in your PayPal.com account. A premier or business account will be needed and your account should already be approved for production (accepting live payments). Here are the steps to find your credentials for PayPal Express:
1) Login to your PayPal.com account.
2) Look for Profile (gear icon) in the top left area of your screen and click on it. Then click on Profile and Settings.
3) Look at the left area of the screen under My Profile and click on My selling tools. Then click on the Update link for API Access.
4) Click on the option for Classic (NVP/SOAP) which appears near the end of the page. If you have used PayPal Express for other projects, then you’ll have existing credentials that you can click to view and then copy into Event Espresso and save changes. If this is a new account, then you can request the credentials. Continue with the steps below.
5) Click Request API Credentials.
6) Click Request API signature.
7) Click Agree and Submit.
You can then copy and paste the API username, password, and signature into the payment methods page for Event Espresso within your WP dashboard and then click on the Update Settings button.
Need to test PayPal Express before using live (production) mode? You’ll need a separate set of credentials for the PayPal Sandbox which can be used for testing out PayPal Express.
Setup and Configuration
An account with PayPal is needed to accept payments via PayPal Express. Need an account? Call this number to get started: 1-855-456-1338.
A dedicated SSL certificate is recommended to make registration checkout and other areas of your website more secure.
Login to your WP-admin (WP Dashboard) and go to Event Espresso –> General Settings –> Payment Methods. Once on the Payment Methods screen, click on PayPal Express and click on the button to activate the payment method.
Below are the available fields and explanations for each field.
Name – This is the name of the payment method.
Description – This description is shown during registration checkout.
Admin-Only Name – This is a name of the payment method that will only be shown in the WP Dashboard (WP-admin).
Admin-Only Description – This description is used only in the WP Dashboard (WP-admin).
Debug Mode On? – Enables debugging for this payment method. It should be off (set to no) on a live/production site.
Open by Default? – This sets this payment method to be pre-selected on the registration checkout page.
API Username – This credential is needed to process payments and can be found in your PayPal.com account.
API Password – This credential is needed to process payments and can be found in your PayPal.com account.
API Signature – This credential is needed to process payments and can be found in your PayPal.com account.
Image URL – This is the URL to the image that will be used when paying for a registration on PayPal.com.
Button URL – This is the URL to the image that will be used during the payment process of registration checkout.
Alternative Button URL: https://ee-screenshots.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/08/paypal-express-checkout-logo.png
Alternative Button URL: https://ee-screenshots.s3.amazonaws.com/2017/03/paypal-logo-with-credit-cards.jpg
Usable From? – Select where this payment method should be available for use. This payment method cannot process payments through the WP-admin (WP Dashboard).
Order – The value (number) can be used to sort or arrange this payment option. A lower value means that it should appear first during registration checkout.
Update Settings – Click this button after making any changes to your payment method.
Deactivate Payment Method – Click this button to deactivate this payment method.
PayPal offers a guest checkout option which will let a registrant/attendee pay with a credit card without needing a PayPal.com account. Guest checkout is available in many countries. However, it is not available everywhere so check with PayPal.com support if you are having trouble following the steps below.
1) Login to your PayPal.com account
2) Look in the top right area of your screen for Profile (gear icon) and click on it and then click on Profile and Settings
3) On the left side of the screen, you’ll see some menu options. Look for My Selling Tools and click on it.
4) Look for Website Preferences which appears under the Selling Online sub-heading and then click on the Update link
5) Scroll down the page and look for PayPal Account Optional. Then change the setting to On and then click on the Save button to save changes. Here is a screenshot of how the option appears:
and the end result:
6) Now you can update the payment button for your PayPal Express payment method. You can download the alternative button image here. Then go to your WordPress dashboard (WP-admin) –> Event Espresso –> Payment Methods and click on PayPal Express. Go to the Button URL field and click on the icon to upload a new image. Select the new button from your computer and then upload it. Then save changes to the PayPal Express payment method.
The PayPal Express payment gateway will let you accept payments through PayPal funds.
This is an off-site payment gateway which means that attendees/registrants will process their payment a secure PayPal.com web page and then they will be returned to your website to view a confirmation of their registration(s).
An account with PayPal is needed to accept payments via PayPal Express and an SSL certificate is recommended for securing your website.
I configured PayPal Express and payments are not being processed. Can you help?
Double-check your credentials to make sure that you are using live credentials which are for production mode. Also, ensure that there is no extra spacing before or after the credentials in the payment methods page of Event Espresso.
When I refund a payment, does it also refund through PayPal Express?
Refunds in Event Espresso 4 are currently a two step process. First, apply the refund through the transactional details screen of Event Espresso in your WP-admin (WP dashboard). Then login to your PayPal merchant account and process the refund.
I’m seeing a security header not valid error. What does this mean?
There is a problem with your credentials. Double-check that they are for a production/live account and if needed deactivate the existing credentials and create a new set. Then update these in the payment methods page of Event Espresso within your WP-admin (WP dashboard).
How can I setup a recurring payment or subscription through PayPal Express?
Recurring or subscription payments are not currently supported in the PayPal Express payment gateway.
Is an SSL certificate needed for PayPal Express?
A dedicated SSL certificate is recommended if you are accepting payments on your website.
Do I need to be PCI compliant?
Compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) is required if you are processing, storing, or transmitting credit card data. Event Espresso recommends using a dedicated SSL certificate on your website.
- None at this time — check back soon!