Support

Home Forums Ticketing Add-on 404 page whenever an update is available

404 page whenever an update is available

Posted: March 23, 2023 at 11:03 am

Viewing 8 reply threads

Mart

March 23, 2023 at 11:03 am

Hi, lately my customers get a 404 page not found error when trying to buy tickets for an event, whenever there’s an update available for EE. After updating the error is fixed. Why is that. Regards, Mart.

Tony

• Support Staff

March 23, 2023 at 4:39 pm

Hi Mart,

Hmm, strange. This is not something I can reproduce.

I can tell you why updating is fixing the problem, permalinks will be flushed once the plugin has been updated.

However, an update showing for Event Espresso should not be causing any issues with permalinks, I tested an update on 4 different test sites and none of them show any 404 errors on EE event pages when an update is available so I’m not sure what is happening above.

Does it happen as soon as the update shows?

Mart

March 24, 2023 at 12:04 pm

Hi Tony, i don’t know tbh. When customers cant register they mail us and i login to see what’s the problem. The plugin is on Auto update. Last time it said that the update was scheduled in 11 hours. So i manualy updated and the problem was solved.
Grtz, Mart.

Mart

March 28, 2023 at 8:03 am

Hi, last Sunday there was a 404 error again, whenever customers clicked on a date to register. This time te permalinks didn’t work anymore. I had to change the way permalinks are handled in WP preferences. Very strange.

Tony

• Support Staff

March 29, 2023 at 7:21 am

last Sunday there was a 404 error again

Was that without an update showing for Event Espresso or with?

I had to change the way permalinks are handled in WP preferences. Very strange.

If I take the ‘this breaks when an update shows for Event Espresso’ out of the equation for a little then it sounds like something is hooking in and forcing permalinks to flush at an unexpected point in the request (before EE has been able to add its rewrite rules).

If that’s the case, simply flushing permalinks (Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalinks, make no changes and just hit save) should fix it when it happens.

I have a snippet you can add to the site that writes a log entry every time permalinks are flushed and a stacktrace of what called for it to happen and when which can help narrow this if the above is the problem.

I can add details on how to add that if you’d like to try it?

Mart

March 30, 2023 at 9:03 am

Hey Toni, it happened again today. It wasn’t related to an EE update. I’ve indeed just save permalinkssettings and the problem was solved. It’s a bit weird though why it happens so often lately. Been usisng EE for years and it never happened before. I dont’t know if it’s EE related.
Maye i could use the snippet indeed.
Thanks for your respons. Greetings, Mart.

Tony

• Support Staff

March 30, 2023 at 9:07 am

It could be a new plugin (or an update to a plugin, or even the theme) now flushed permalinks differently.

Are you comfortable with PHP?

For example, this is the snippet:

https://gist.github.com/Pebblo/a6d2b949d0ae784c09de442b9848ff7d#file-1tw_log_rewrite_rules_array-php

You can add that to a custom functions plugin on your site, we have some documentation on creating one here:

https://eventespresso.com/wiki/create-site-specific-plugin-wordpress-site/

Does that all make sense so far?

Mart

March 30, 2023 at 9:12 am

I’m not that comfortable with php, but i’ll check the documentation.
Thx.

Tony

• Support Staff

March 30, 2023 at 2:12 pm

Just checking in to see how you go on with this?

I can package the above into a plugin you just install if that’s easier?

There is a change you need to make to the site within wp-config.php for this to be useful tho but I’m holding off on going onto that until the above is done 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads

The support post ‘404 page whenever an update is available’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso