Posted: May 28, 2013 at 1:44 pm
I’m building some relatively simple events signup for a gym that I can tell is covered by EE. But I have some questions about the custom files and interacting with EE in PHP.
This gym uses an external system to handle classes right now and doesn’t want to move away from it. I can get data from that in PHP.
1. Can I add custom fields to events and venues?
2. Can I, during a scheduled wordpress event after getting data from that external system, create/update listed events with new information without doing database queries?
3. Can I add my logic and potentially stop the current action during the normal flow of:
i. creating/editing an event
ii. event registration/cancelling registration
4. Can I filter a calendar display of events by venue?
5. Can I filter a calendar display of events by a custom field?
I don’t mind doing a bit of work for these, but I want to make sure what I do is within the framework. I want to know what’s possible, I couldn’t find any docs or use cases for using custom files without purchasing (which I dislike). But this system looks powerful and I hope it can do what I need.
1. Yes, we have an event meta system for events, but not venues, at this time. You can display the meta fields using short codes. This has come up a few times and we might add some hooks to the event and venue editors in the near future.
2. When updating an event, the data is updated/re-saved to the database.
3. This has come up a few times and we might add more hooks to the event and venue editors in the near future. For right now, this is something you will need to modify yourself, or let us know where an action would be useful to you, and we can discuss adding it with the dev team.
4. The calendar does not display by venue at the moment, but you can display it by category, which is a work around we have recommended in the past. That is not to say that a savvy developer couldn’t modify the calendar to add that feature.
However, we do have short codes available for listing events by venue, category, date (custom files), etc.
5. That will need to be custom coded as well.
Also, we have the Event Espresso 4.0 beta, which is much easier to develop for. You might wanna check that out too 🙂
The support post ‘Interacting with EE programatically’ is closed to new replies.
Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.