I have set up several different tickets for an event and have been using these yearly. This year when I went to update all of the tickets, the quantity selectors have changed into radio buttons instead of drop-down menus. I can’t find the right place to fix them back. Thanks!
This thread has been marked resolved already but just for any future readers, it sounds like the ‘Maximum number of tickets allowed per order for this event:’ option within the event had been set to 1.
As only 1 ticket can be selected the Ticket Selector then switches the inputs to radio buttons, setting that value back to anything greater than 1 switches them back.