Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 5.0.3.p is bringing down the server with processes

5.0.3.p is bringing down the server with processes

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 8:45 am

Diggetydog

May 9, 2023 at 8:45 am

I have tried to get EE reinstalled on an existing site and it is just causing continuous problems. I have had the hosting company reboot, restore, and try everything to get the site back up.
I can’t even get to the maintenance page to get started with the data update. The page is in constant load mode with some processes running. I don’t even know if the database update is running. I got a data error message and again the page iss in reload with no response. eventually goes to a connection time out.

Back to a backup again. Hopefully I can get this restored today at some point. What a disaster.
Client is pissed to say the least.

Diggetydog

May 9, 2023 at 9:03 am

Can’t restore a backup using updraft. Totally screwed here. What is the issue? It’s on its own server. there’s plenty of resources. I do have 3 sites on this server running EE. Where can I find the problem?

Diggetydog

May 9, 2023 at 9:19 am

Is there a limit to how many events / users / registrations / that EE can handle?

Tony

• Support Staff

May 9, 2023 at 9:19 am

Hi there,

The above doesn’t give any details we can use to troubleshoot this, so lets break this down a little.

I have tried to get EE reinstalled on an existing site and it is just causing continuous problems.

Reinstalled? Why reinstalled?

Which problems?

I have had the hosting company reboot, restore, and try everything to get the site back up.

If this is just from Event Espresso, did they try disabling Event Espresso by renaming the directory?

If the site is being brought down just from Event Espresso then disabling it will fix the site again.

I can’t even get to the maintenance page to get started with the data update. The page is in constant load mode with some processes running.

So EE has gone into maintenance mode from the update and now the whole site wont load?

Very little actually loads within Event Espresso when its in Maintenance mode, none of out models can run queries in that mode and 90% of the queries we run, run through our model system.

I don’t even know if the database update is running.

Unless you got to the Maintenance page, selected to run the migration and saw the screen to load the migration (which it sounds like you haven’t), the update will not be running.

The migration from 4.10.XX to 5.0.X is small, it relates to venues. They are currently stored in their own relation table and in 5.0.X we copy them into the event row. It’s a small process for each row and we run in it batches of 50.

I got a data error message and again the page iss in reload with no response. eventually goes to a connection time out.

Did the host check into this to see which process is hanging?

Can’t restore a backup using updraft. Totally screwed here. What is the issue?

So far, none of the above sounds like an EE specific issue, something is hanging on the server and that may be triggered from something EE is doing but from the above I can’t tell you what that is as there just isn’t enough details to know more.

What I can say, is we haven’t had any other reports of this so it’s more likely to be a config issue than something specific within EE.

It’s on its own server. there’s plenty of resources. I do have 3 sites on this server running EE. Where can I find the problem?

We need more details on what processes are hanging.

PHP errors thrown at all?

Diggetydog

May 9, 2023 at 9:31 am

Hey Tommy,

Reinstalled – Because the update brought everything down – tried twice and had to get the hosting company to restore from backup. Was getting 503 errors, page loading taking 50 – 90 seconds. So I thought I would download and install 5.0.3.p from downloaded file.

Which problems? Site becomes totally unresponsive, again 503 errors, connection timeouts, page loading at over 60 seconds.
Server guys are telling me that “there are 30 concurrent processes running” when plugin update was run.

I can check the error logs. Just getting it restored again.

Tony

• Support Staff

May 9, 2023 at 9:39 am

Which problems? Site becomes totally unresponsive, again 503 errors, connection timeouts, page loading at over 60 seconds.
Server guys are telling me that “there are 30 concurrent processes running” when plugin update was run.

When you update Event Espresso it does NOT run an a DB update in the background on its own. It will run queries to check for values and compare and then trigger a migration script if required which then puts the site into maintenance mode for the migration to be run manually.

Something within those checks may well be bringing the site down here, but I don’t think it’s from EE trying to update the DB as it doesn’t just run the DB updates automatically in the background.

Also their answer of ’30 concurrent processes running’ doesn’t really mean anything, what processes? What queries? The above basically saying ‘yeah, something is broken’, which I understand something is failing but that doesn’t help narrow anything down. I can’t troubleshoot or investigate further without knowing what/where to look.

I can check the error logs. Just getting it restored again.

Again, have you tried just de-activating Event Espresso when all of this is happening?

If you can’t do that through the WP admin then just rename the plugin directory:

{root}/wp-content/plugins/event-espresso-core-reg/

Just add say -temp to the end and it will deactivate EE for you.

Does that instantly bring the site back up?

Diggetydog

May 9, 2023 at 10:04 am

I just restored from a backup – not touching it until after hours. I will let you know and see if the renaming works. I know as soon as I removed the plugins from the options table in SQL, it was back to normal. And as I start activated EE core, it went back into the aforementioned problems.

Tony

• Support Staff

May 9, 2023 at 10:27 am

I just restored from a backup – not touching it until after hours.

Rather than doing that, clone the site on a subdomain and run the update there. That way you can troubleshoot further on that without disrupting the live site.

I know as soon as I removed the plugins from the options table in SQL, it was back to normal. And as I start activated EE core, it went back into the aforementioned problems.

Ok, so that deactivates EE in the same way renaming the directory would, so in that case, cloning the site is a good option here as we’ll likely need to work the queries happening on that site to find out what is going on.

That’s not going to be a quick process so doing it away from the live site will cause the least amount of disruption.

The support post ‘5.0.3.p is bringing down the server with processes’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso