Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 404 error on new events

404 error on new events

Posted: September 10, 2018 at 4:23 am

Chesslife

September 10, 2018 at 4:23 am

Howdy, I know many people have had this issue when starting out and I have tried some of the options, but it would be great if someone could help me as I am unable to clear the error.

So I set up new events:
chesslife.com.au/register

People can tick how many participants and hit register before they get the 404 error. I am using the EE 4

Things I have already done to troubleshoot:
-deactivated possible interfering plugins like the grid and calendar
-updated my theme
-added the critical pages (Thank You/Payment etc)
-checked the slug under events/templates

Any other suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Tony

• Support Staff

September 10, 2018 at 4:57 am

Hi there,

-added the critical pages (Thank You/Payment etc)

Those should have been added automatically, did EE show that they had issues in Event Espresso -> General Settings -> Critical pages?

It looks like you have the ‘registration-check-out-page’ page set as a child page of ‘register’ but also have EE’s events slug set to ‘register’, is that correct?

If so then that’s the problem, if you set that page to no longer be a child of ‘register’ it should work. You can’t have your critical pages as a child of a page set to use the same slug as your events slug, so all of those will need the same fix.

You may also need to flush your permalinks after doing the above, go to Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalinks and just hit save.

The reason is down to how permalinks work, if you have the events slug set to ‘register’ then when you go to: site.com/register/some-event-name

WordPress knows to break that down into something like {domain}/{post_type}/{post_slug}

EE event posts are set to use the ‘register’ slug, so WP translate that to “an EE event with the slug equal to ‘some-event-name'”

The problem comes when EE tries to direct the user to the checkout page, because its set as a child of ‘register’ it sends the user here:

http://www.chesslife.com.au/register/registration-check-out-page/?uts=123456789#checkout

So WordPress once again translates that to “Look for an EE event with the slug equal to ‘registration-check-out-page'”, which doesn’t exist as it’s a standard page and not an EE event.

(I’m oversimplifying all of this a little but its to give you an idea of what is happening so you can prevent it from happening again)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  Tony.

Chesslife

September 10, 2018 at 5:08 am

That worked! Thank you!

(And yes it did say it had an issue in the critical pages)

Tony

• Support Staff

September 10, 2018 at 5:29 am

That worked! Thank you!

You’re most welcome, I’m glad it worked.

(And yes it did say it had an issue in the critical pages)

Hmm, strange. If EE hadn’t created them you may have been able just save the settings on that page an have EE create them for you, but it really depends on what the problem was (which we can’t identify now).

If you continue to have problems with your critical page please let us know so we can investigate further.

The support post ‘404 error on new events’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso