Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 404 error post name permalinks

404 error post name permalinks

Posted: November 11, 2019 at 4:23 am

jokadesign

November 11, 2019 at 4:23 am

Hi

I reported this a while ago, and it’s still a big problem. See the link to the previous post: https://eventespresso.com/topic/click-on-events-view-details-producing-404-error/

Flushing the permalinks works every time, but I’m having to do it every few days, usually because a client complains. It needs fixing.

Advice please Thanks.

Tony

• Support Staff

November 11, 2019 at 4:38 am

Hi there,

As mentioned in your previous thread, we’ll need a list of all of the installed plugins on the site.

It is usually caused by another plugin flushing permalinks at an unexpected time during the request, if it is happening regularly with a set pattern then it is likely linked to some scheduled task running via cron.

jokadesign

November 11, 2019 at 11:31 am

This reply has been marked as private.

Tony

• Support Staff

November 11, 2019 at 11:50 am

OK, I have done as you suggested and tried switching all plugins off, then reactivating one by one. No joy.

I’m not sure when I said that, but as this is an intermittent/scheduled issue that may not help fix/show the plugin responsible, once the rewrite rules are broken (permalinks flushed ‘incorrectly’) they’ll need a proper flush so de-activate all plugins and reactivating may not help.

How do I send you a screenshot on this thread?

For screenshots you need to host the image and post the link here, we have some examples of how you can do that here:

https://eventespresso.com/wiki/troubleshooting-checklist/#screenshots

Can I give you access to the WP back end?

Sure, however, note that we would require a support token to troubleshoot this directly on the site as this is likely from another plugin, it’s not EE breaking its own rewrite rules.

If you mean so we can take a look over which plugins are installed etc then you can send login details using this form:

https://eventespresso.com/send-login-details/

jokadesign

November 12, 2019 at 1:09 am

jokadesign

November 13, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Hi Tony

Did you see my last post, with a link?

Joe

Tony

• Support Staff

November 14, 2019 at 3:25 am

Yes, I did thank you.

We’ve been investigating and whilst we can’t narrow down a specific plugin currently, we are looking to see if we can bulletproof EE’s permalinks a little more to prevent it from happening.

No ETA just yet but we are looking into it.

jokadesign

November 18, 2019 at 4:51 am

OK, thanks. Just to let you know, it happened again this morning. The client reported the 404 error. As has become routine, I resaved the permalinks to clear the fault. Looking forward to progress.

jokadesign

November 21, 2019 at 10:10 am

Happened again, this morning. My client is talking about changing to BookWhen, as this issue has been bugging us for so long. I’m keen to stay with EE but it’s her call. Please let me know what progress we might expect.

Josh

• Support Staff

November 21, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is something we can fix as it’s very specific to your site. For example, let’s say there’s something like a custom functions file in the theme that’s refreshing the rewrite rules when a post is updated. Having something like that would cause the error every time they updated the post. The fix in that case would be to remove that code.

As Tony mentioned that were looking at ways to bulletproof EE a bit that could prevent this if it were a case of another plugin refreshing the rewrite rules too early in the request. We have that change in a branch of Event Espresso.

If you’d like to try that branch out, it’s available to download here. The branch is almost identical to the current version of EE4, so you could deactivate the current version of EE4 and install that one instead to see if it makes any difference on your site.

jokadesign

November 28, 2019 at 3:38 am

Tony

• Support Staff

November 28, 2019 at 4:56 am

The version Josh linked to is almost identical to the ‘release’ version so yes it is easy to revert to, although you’ll need FTP access to the site.

Here is how I would do it.

Download the above .zip file and then go to Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add new -> Upload plugin.

Upload the above .zip file but do not activate it.

Using FTP on the server navigate to /wp-content/plugins/

You’ll see event-espresso-core-reg and event-espresso-core-BUG-move-flush-rewrite-to-shutdown

Rename event-espresso-core-regtoevent-espresso-core-reg-release`

Then rename event-espresso-core-BUG-move-flush-rewrite-to-shutdown to event-espresso-core-reg

If you do that quickly enough Event Espresso will stay active and you’ll have switched to the above branch, if not, simply activate it. It will show as 4.10.3.rc.000

To revert back you can rename what is now event-espresso-core-reg to event-espresso-core-reg-test and event-espresso-core-reg-original back to event-espresso-core-reg

jokadesign

December 13, 2019 at 2:22 am

Hi Tony. Many thanks for this. Unfortunately, I have only just got around to trying out your advice and the file you sent is producing an error message: “The link you followed has expired.
Please try again.”
Would you be able to re-send it?
Thank you.

Tony

• Support Staff

December 13, 2019 at 2:33 am

Hi there,

May I ask which link?

The link Josh provided above is still working for me.

https://eventespresso.com/topic/404-error-4/#post-302834

jokadesign

December 13, 2019 at 2:36 am

Well, technically, it’s not a link but a download (I have downloaded the file to my Mac successfully). The file Josh sent is producing that error message when I try to install it in WordPress.

Tony

• Support Staff

December 13, 2019 at 2:45 am

Sorry but I’m not sure I follow.

Can you post the steps you are taking?

The download should give you a .zip file (if is not a .zip then your mac is automatically extracting it, zip it again so you have a .zip file).

Then you upload the .zip in:

Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add new -> Upload plugin.

That section shouldn’t show a “The link you followed has expired.
Please try again.” error.

Josh

• Support Staff

December 13, 2019 at 7:51 am

Hi Joe,

If you’re using Safari on the Mac, you’ll either need to:
a) deactivate the automatically unzip downloaded file feature
https://wiki.umbc.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31919091
or
b) use a different browser to download the zip file

When you go to install a plugin using the WordPress Plugin uploaded, the file format must be a zip file. WordPress will not upload an unzipped folder.

jokadesign

December 20, 2019 at 9:47 am

Hi

Ok, I have installed the new version of EE that you sent me. I now have a problem with 404 errors on EE pages, and also permalink problems. If I set permalinks to post names, none of the EE pages work. Can you please advise or assist? Thanks.
Joe

jokadesign

December 20, 2019 at 11:40 am

Josh

• Support Staff

December 20, 2019 at 11:52 am

Please make sure to ask them why you can’t use option Events –> Templates to change CPT Slug from “events” to something else, like courses.

You actually can use the option to change from events to courses. That’s exactly what the option is there for. This of course will not work if you also happen to have another CPT that uses “courses”, or even a page slug that uses courses.

It looks like you’re having other problems going on with your site though, because every page I try returns either a 404 or a 403 error.

jokadesign

December 21, 2019 at 5:41 am

Hi Josh. You’ll recall the only reason we’ve installed the new version of EE is to try to alleviate the sporadic, but regular 404 errors we were having with the old version. Something to do with cron(?). Now we have the new version installed it’s much worse. No longer a sporadic fault, but a constant one.

In your view, is this proof then, of a clash with another plugin?

I was hoping the new version would be more bullet-proof!?

Advice appreciated.

We are now in a position where EE is not working at all, and there is an alert suggesting we need to add the license key, even though it is already in place.
I need to urgently rectify this as people are wanting to make bookings, or revert back to the previous version of EE.

I do not have the necessary knowhow to deal with this myself. If I send you the WP login credentials, would you be able to troubleshoot? Thanks.

Joe

Josh

• Support Staff

December 21, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Hi Joe,

It actually appears that post name permalinks are not working on your site. Event Espresso appears to be allowing bookings, but there’s a difference now in that today the site is using default permalinks.

There may be a plugin on your site (not a clash per se, but a plugin that breaks with WP standards for setting up rewrite rules) that prevents permalinks from working, or it could be a server setting (like the apache mod_rewrite rules are not set up correctly). Has your developer been able to troubleshoot this?

Generally we do not troubleshoot issues that happen at the server level or are caused by other plugins. If the trouble happens with the default theme and all other plugins are deactivated we could investigate further though.

The support post ‘404 error post name permalinks’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso