Support

Home Forums Event Espresso Premium 1 Promo Code used; 2 different discounts "could not be applied to any events"

1 Promo Code used; 2 different discounts "could not be applied to any events"

Posted: November 22, 2017 at 6:57 am

Viewing 3 reply threads

BridgeTraining

November 22, 2017 at 6:57 am

I am currently using version 4.9.43.p of event espresso.

We have two events on our system; Event 1 is $950 and Event 2 is $570.

We offered the discount code “GMCC” to members of an organisation. This same code is used in the system twice: in order to discount $200 off Event 1 or $100 off Course 2.

Both discount codes are set up in exactly the same way:

Name: GMCCC

Code: GMCC

Type: Dollar Discount

Amount: -200/-100 respectively

Scope: Event

Apply Promo to ALL Scope Items: No

Promo Is Exclusive: Yes

Number of uses: blank (for infinite)

Valid From & Until: Valid date range encompassing the date today when I am trying to test

Check off the specific events that this promotion will be applied to: Correct event selected for each discount code instance

Note: Our system is such that you cannot purchase tickets to both events at the same time.

It seems that only the version of the code valid for Event 1 is working, when trying to use the code for Event 2, it gives the error “could not be applied to any events”.

I have deleted the code for Event 1 and reinstated it (by copying and then editing/adjusting the Event 2 code). This did not work. I thought it may be a caching issue, so I tried on my phone as well as desktop and this is still the case.

Other codes set up in the same way are working fine, including percentage and money off.

Is it the case that you cannot have two promotional objects that use the same code, even if they are applied to two separate events and are not being added to the same basket?

For ease of use, we want to offer one easy-to-remember code to our partners that will offer a different discount depending which event they choose. It is not practical to combine two events into one (with different tickets available within the event, if that makes sense).

Please advise.

Tony

• Support Staff

November 22, 2017 at 8:50 am

Hi there,

When you input a promotion code into EE it searches for a promotion using that code and pulls that promotion object, it then uses that to check that the promotion can be applied to the event(s) in the cart.

So as you have 2 promotions with the same code, it’s pulling in the first promotion it finds and using that which means its invalid for Event 2.

In short you need a different promotion code for your second event, EE has no way to distinguish between your 2 codes so doesn’t know which one it should be attempting to apply to the event.

BridgeTraining

November 22, 2017 at 9:31 am

Thank you Tony, I will keep that in mind when creating future discount codes. Will this be possible in future updates?

Tony

• Support Staff

November 22, 2017 at 9:39 am

I don’t think so as it will require a complete refactor on how promotions are applied, but I can request some more feedback from our developers.

Viewing 3 reply threads

The support post ‘1 Promo Code used; 2 different discounts "could not be applied to any events"’ is closed to new replies.

Have a question about this support post? Create a new support post in our support forums and include a link to this existing support post so we can help you.

Event Espresso