Along with contributing to many WordPress projects, such as the REST API, Gutenberg, Multi-site, Twenty Nineteen Theme, and more, many members of the Event Espresso team have been working on the project together for over seven years of Event Espresso’s ten-year existence. With some of them leaving to create businesses of their own, landing that dream job, or going to work at Automattic.
The daily activities:
Your primary responsibility will be developing and modifying the presentation layer of our library of WordPress plugins and web applications according to specifications outlined and defined by a Lead Engineer.
You’ll be working as part of a team, alongside Engineers, Managers, and other team members during the entire development life-cycle of a plugin, as well as a supporting that plugin after it ships.
Here are some technologies you’ll be working with:
- S.O.L.I.D. PHP
- WordPress Gutenberg
- PHP Unit, Codeception, Jest
- Git (Version Control)
Qualities that matter to our team:
- A positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens.”
- Detail-oriented and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies.
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team while working remotely.
- Assist engineers with the server-side web application data while following Event Espresso Code Standards.
- Meet documented feature specs and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Lead Engineers on feature development and code reviews.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a development and support team discussions.
- Able to work remotely, with a strong emphasis on communication and organizational skills.
- You have a strong grasp of WordPress plugin and theme structure, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You have a strong understanding of Git version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) practices.
- Experience with MySQL.
- Experience with accessibility standards.
- Solid understanding of date-times and time-zones in PHP and JS.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience creating unit and functionality testing.
- You are knowledgeable about writing performant data queries.
Join our amazing company!
Being part of the Event Espresso team means more than just having a job. We strive to foster passion, creativity, innovation, and pride in what we accomplish every day. We look at our team to show us where they really shine and put each individual’s skills and interests at the forefront of our projects, as well as any WordPress projects they feel like contributing to during their Innovation, Contribution and Education (ICE) time, where our team members are given paid time to contribute to other open-source projects, like WordPress core.
We could not accomplish what we do daily without our employees and the wonderful jobs they perform. They are our most valuable resource. We recognize that when you love what you do, your best self-shines through.
*No third parties or outsourcing agencies will be considered.
The deadline to apply is Friday, August 23, 2019. We will then review applications and follow up with qualified candidates through email.